Dr. Harsh Vardhan assumed charge as the Cabinet Minister of Health & Family Welfare, here today. Under his direction, the Health Ministry has issued a health advisory for people to stay safe during the heat wave conditions prevailing in the country. At present, heat wave conditions are prevailing over parts of East U.P, West Rajasthan, Vidarbha, West Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Chandigarh and Delhi, East Rajasthan, West U.P and East M.P.
Heat waves can cause adverse effects on human health, including other sectors. The Health Ministry has suggested the Dos and Don’ts for the citizens to follow.
- Stay indoors and in shaded places.
- Use umbrella/hat/cap/towel when outside.
- Wear thin loose cotton, light colored garments.
- Drink frequently water and salted drinks – lassi, lemon water, fruit juices, ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution). Eat fruits such as water melon, cucumber, lemon, orange etc.
- Take frequent cool bath and reduce room temperature: use window shades/curtains, fan, cooler, air conditioner, cross ventilate room, sprinkle water, keep indoor plants
- Person feeling unwell, specially old aged, young children, pregnant women, those with pre-existing medical conditions, and outdoor workers, should be immediately shifted to a cooler place, put on minimum clothing, be sponged with cold water, applied ice packs wrapped in cloth, and transported to nearest health facility.
- Going out in the sun, especially between 12:00 noon and 3:00 pm
- Doing strenuous activities when outside in the afternoon.
- Drinking alcohol, tea, coffee and carbonated soft drinks
- Leaving children or pets in parked vehicle.
- Wearing dark colored, synthetic and tight clothing.