ON EARTH DAY, IHCL CONTINUES TO CHARTITS JOURNEY TOWARDS A MORE SUSTAINABLE FUTURE
MUMBAI, APRIL 21, 2022:In line with its commitment to make a positiveimpact with an integrated approach towards creating sustained growth, Indian Hotels Company (IHCL), India’s largest hospitality company, continues to make strides in strengthening it sustainable business practices. Guided by its framework of Paathya, IHCLhas undertakena number of initiatives including phasing out single-use plastic, reduction in carbon footprint, water conservation, utilization of renewable sources of energy and extensive community engagement.
ThisEarth Day, IHCL marks the occasionwith a milestone achievement of58 of its hotels achieving EarthCheck Platinum Certification, representing 14 continuous years of social and environmental impact by ensuring sustainable tourism management practices. With this, a total of 77 EarthCheck certifiedIHCL hotels have generated significant savings since 2008 by:
- Reducing water consumption by approximately 780,940 kilolitres
- Reducing greenhouse emissions including approximately286,006,980 kilograms of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e)
- Saving approximately 1,548,283,817mega joules of energy
- Reducing waste sent to landfill by 18,790 cubic meters
- Establishing bottling plants at 15 hotels across the globe to eliminate use of single use plastic by replacing all plastic water bottles with reusable glass bottles
With a long term vision of driving responsible tourism, IHCL has announced its sustainability commitments for the year 2030 under Paathya. These include100% elimination of single-use plastic across all its hotels, ensuring 100% of waste water is reused and that all business meetings and conferences go green with the introduction of Innergise – Green Meetings.
Moreover, with a keen focus on reducing carbon footprint, IHCL has partnered with Tata Power to provide EV charging stations across hotels in key locations and has also continued to leverage the partnership to utilizerenewable energy as a green energy source across hotels.