A pledge to be administered to cut the use of plastics on 2nd October 2019
Taking a cue from the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi’s clarion call in his Independence Day speech to eliminate single use plastic in the country from 2ndOctober, 2019, Indian Railways has once again risen to the occasion to shield the environment from the menace of plastic.Ministry of Railways has directed all Railway units to enforce ban on single-use plastic material, with less than 50-micron thickness from 2nd October, 2019. Emphasis is on making necessary arrangements to minimize generation of plastic waste and its eco- friendly disposal.
In this regard, Ministry of Railways has issued a circular stating the following instructions are to be enforced: w.e.f. 02.10.2019:
- Ban on single-use plastic material
- All railway vendors to avoid use of plastic carry bags
- Staff should reduce, reuse and refuse plastic products and to use inexpensive reusable bags to reduce plastic footprint.
- IRCTC to implement return of plastic drinking water bottles as part of Extended Producer Responsibility.
- Plastic Bottle crushing machines to be provided expeditiously.
Strict enforcement of these instructions is to be from 02.10.2019, to give enough time to all concerned to prepare for “Plastic Free Railway”.
Ministry of Railways has also instructed its Railway units that a pledge can be administered on 2nd October, 2019 to cut use of plastics. Also, Information, Education & Communication (IEC) measures are to be adapted to create awareness among railway users.